Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Catfight at work

So today when I was assigned to a project with one of my co-workers I discovered exactly why the younger generation (the under 30 crowd) don't get along with the baby boomers.

The assignment was basically to make a list of customers which would serve as a waiting list. We had a whole stack of forms that had been faxed to us as well as e-mail requests. The list was to be put in order according to when we recieved the orders. My plan was just to enter all of the relevant information into a spreadsheet and then have it sort it for us. Of course my co-worker thought it would be faster just to sort all of the forms and then put the information that we needed into the spreadsheet.

Since we needed to insert most of the information into the spreadsheet anyway and it would save us from touching the forms more than once, it made perfect sense to me to just add and extra colum to our spreadsheet that could be deleted once the list had been sorted.

I'm not sure if it was simply a case of my co-worker not feeling comfortable with using excel for this purpose or if she truely believed it was faster to handle each of the sheets about 3 times to sort them. Whatever the case may be I didn't really want to start a huge fight and I didn't think it was a good idea to be doing two different things with them (ie: she does her half her way and I do my half my way) so I let her sort them while I went on break. But now we have to enter the bulk of the information into the spreadsheet anyway.

All in all it was a frustrating day. But I don't want to stir up shit just yet, so I let it go. Give me another month or so.

No comments: