Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Living the Dream

I'm about to start a new feature here at my blog. It consists of telling you every time I beat people at Big League Manager. But before I get into it, let me explain what it is.

Essentially it's a board game in which you run a hockey team. You pick an NHL team to represent you. Some people like to stick with one team, I like to mix it up a little usually choosing small market teams or teams that blow in real life.

Then you distribute the cash, you start with 2.6 million dollars in the bank with which to run your team for the year. Then you "draft "your players which essential means picking them off the pile of cards, you start with 2 first round draft picks. Then you proceed to choose 8 other players from the goalie, defenseman and forward piles until you have 10 total player cards. You choose 6 players as your starting 6: 1 goalie, 2 defensemen, and 3 forwards. The remaining 4 players make up your starting bench. Once you're done this the fun starts. You roll the dice and you land on squares which explain what you need to do next. It's kind of like monopoly in this way. Some of the squares require you to pay money to the league in exchange for the privilege of drafting a new player or signing a player to a long term contract. Some of the squares pay you money for random events like new ownership. Some squares require you to pick up a League Notebook cards, which are a lot like the chance or community chest cards in Monopoly. The best square though is the "play the match" square. Because the whole point of the game is to win the most matches and therefore win the game. You roll a dice with the numbers 1-3 on it for each period to determine how many goals your team scored in that period. The point is of course to score more points than your opponent. There are a lot of other intricacies to this game but I want to keep this description fairly brief. Win the most matches, win the game. If you want to know more about the game go here . If you're looking to try it out come visit. I'll take you on.

Today I picked up the Stanley cup expansion pack in which the top 2 players from the regular season play off to see who takes the prize. I took my Atlanta Thrashers to the promised land tonight, beating out the Edmonton Oilers and the New York Islanders who were managed by my brothers. That's right I'm awesome.

No comments: