Saturday, September 27, 2008

Why I may not vote

I'm all about election stuff. I love elections. I realize that they cost a ton to administer but at the same time I feel that it's the one time when all of the politicians have to actually prove that they're doing something worthwhile in Ottawa. I am also deeply opinionated about many issues which allows me to lean strongly towards one party or another based on their policies.

However, I may not be voting in the upcoming election. Despite having voted in 2 federal elections in 2 different ridings I'm not on the voters list. I called my local returning officer's office on Thursday and they told me that they could mail me a form to fill out. I received a call today telling me that I would have to come down to the office (which is completely out of my way) in order to fill out the forms. Seriously for all the discussion about why voter turnout is so low no one has thought that perhaps this might be the reason? Not only do I have to go to register to vote but then I have to actually go out and vote.

Maybe I should just be grateful that I live in a democracy that allows me the right to vote at all, but at the same time I can't remember it being this difficult to vote in the previous two elections. This election also marks the first time that I'm actually have to seriously evaluate who I intend to vote for, for the first time I'm divided on the issues.

Incidentally I now live in one of those "swing ridings" where the incumbent may not win back their seat. Which probably makes it all the more important to vote given that I could make an actual difference in the outcome. For the record my old riding was won by 111 votes in the last election.

No comments: