Sunday, August 31, 2008

Talking politics... kind of

Now I'm not a big follower of American politics but I always helps to stay informed of the direction of our Southern neighbour and largest trading partner. I find American politics confusing as hell, what with the primaries and delegates, super delegates, electoral college, I really have no idea who's winning or losing.

One thing I have noticed though it talking to both Americans and Canadians my age is that there is a definite Anti-Republican sentiment. Actually to put it slightly more accurately it is an Anti-Bush sentiment. I'm not surprised that my Canadian peers would support the Democrats because as one of my college friends said once the Democrats are more right wing than our most right wing party. I'm more surprised by people who support them blindly. I talked to someone the other day about Obama's speech at the convention (which I didn't watch because quite frankly I don't care enough), her favorite parts were the Bush-bashing. Which makes me wonder, do people even know WHY they don't like Bush?

I am a little surprised by the choice of Alaska Governor Sarah Palin as the Republican Vice Presidential candidate. I also think it's kind of cool. Yeah I realize that's not the most descriptive of words but nothing that I've read so far about her makes me dislike her, which is more than I can say about most politicians. I'm also amused by other people's reaction to it. For example, I was talking to a young woman the other day about the selection and her reaction was "that was an interesting choice... what if she becomes pregnant, would she just take a mat leave?" In reality I'm less amused and more appalled by that statement, less because someone said it but more that it was someone who is well educated and career focused. But I guess it does make you think that if someone here is thinking that it's a safe bet that Americans are thinking the same thing.

As we get closer to an actual election and I start paying a little bit more attention I'll probably have more to say on the topic.

No comments: