Tuesday, April 15, 2008

More complaining about work

It's not the first time and I'm sure it won't be the last time I use my blog as an outlet for all of my career related frustrations. Today however I feel justified in questioning the division of the workload. While I don't generally question it out loud to co-workers it certainly comes up in outside of work relationships. Okay that statement isn't exactly true, I do mention it to co-workers just not ones that actually work in my department.

Some told me last week that I shouldn't question what I'm given to do and that I should just take it and stay late to get everything done if need be. All because you're trying to start your career and you don't want people to think you can't do the job. The fact of the matter is that I'm the kind of person who believes that you're only assigned as much as people think you're able to do. And that if you're not able to do it then someone needs to know.

I'm one of those lucky people who has most of their work delivered to their desk, either by e-mail or fax. Today our fax delivery person asked me about all of the stuff I was getting these days. The big thing was that all of this work had been assigned to other people at some point but now is falling on me. In fact she even said to me "so what does Sally* do now?" If other people are noticing then all of my complaining can't be completely unjustified right?


*name changed to protect my freaking job. Not that I'm so anonymous as it is.

No comments: