Tuesday, June 17, 2008

The more things change the more they stay the same

As some of you know I made my way back home this past weekend for the local fair, in conjunction with Father's Day. I remember fairs of my youth being exciting and entertaining (and a lot of work), this one was none of that.

It's not that I expected my town to have changed much but I expected some changes. Sure the largest employer has moved from farming and agriculture to construction. Yes, they did build a daycare on to the high school (don't act so surprised!). But other than that not much has changed.

I thought going back I might catch up with the few high school friends I hadn't already found on Facebook. As it turns out anyone worth talking to from my high school days has moved on to bigger and better things. The people who are still around from my high school days are still exactly the same, a little bit older and with a few more kids but otherwise exactly the same. There is even that one guy who refuses to believe that he's too old to be hitting on high school girls, like Wooderson in Dazed and Confused.

Yup, small town living. Hard to believe I long for that lifestyle again. But despite all the bad stuff there is something to be said about being able to go and visit your neighbours for coffee at random and not having to be suspicious of every stranger you meet on the street.

No comments: