Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The hard part is over, now for the waiting

So most of you know by now that I had a job interview today. Like most people I find job interviews stressful. Seriously if employers want to know how potential employees will handle themselves under pressure they need look no further than the interview.

I am the type of person who panics for no reason. Case in point every time I had to write an exam in University whether I needed a good mark or not I'd end up calling my parents bawling that I was going to fail. Like somehow that single test was the end of the world. So as it happens I called Mom and Dad last night, they weren't home. So I tried Dad's cell and ended up talking to my Aunt who gave me suggestions and tips on dealing with the interview.

Did it help? Probably not. But now that I'm done the interview all that's left to do it wait. The nice thing for me is that if I don't get the job I've still got something to fall back on. I'll still have my old job. It will be difficult to have to stay given that I told the people in my department that I had applied for the job but really what difference does it make. If I don't get the job then I'm just not the right fit, and that's okay. Or at least that's what I'm telling myself today.

Whether I get the job or not I've gained valuable experience, I've spent a little more time getting to know me. Also I may have used this interview as leverage for a potential salary increase at my current job. We'll see how that one plays out.

No comments: